Winter Weather Awareness Week: Emergency Kit Checklist
Home safety tips for the winter. When preparing for the upcoming winter months each family should prepare an emergency kit for their home. You can become trapped in your home for several days or a power outage due to weather .
Each household may have items which they need in their kit unique to their family. Here is a list of items which should be in everyone’s emergency kit:
- 3 day supply of food and water
- 3 day supply of any medicine which needs to be taken daily (if applicable)
- Flashlights and replacement batteries
- Battery operated radio
- Blankets and warm clothes
- First-Aid kit
- Snow shovel and rock salt
- Extra wood for your fireplace or wood burning stove (if applicable)
- A fire extinguisher
- Extra Cash
- Pet food and supplies (if applicable)
It is also essential for you to check to see if your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors are working properly and have new batteries in them. Call DTM Installations at (845) 429-7100 to schedule an appointment to inspect, maintain or replace your fire alarm system.